Advantages of Collaboration
Collaboration is an alternative dispute resolution process that has many advantages.
- Both clients have skilled legal advisers at every stage of the process. Both lawyers understand how to reach creative settlements. You are never on your own; your lawyer is at your side, explaining issues and helping you to achieve goals by mutual participation and agreement.
- Both clients will usually spend less money and time using the Collaborative Divorce Process than in other processes, particularly going to Court.
- Both clients and their lawyers agree in advance to work only toward a settlement acceptable to both clients. Litigation can never be threatened. Neither you nor your partner will be permitted to play games or take advantage of each other.
- The lawyers share with their clients a financial incentive to make the Collaborative Divorce Process work. The lawyers have not succeeded unless they help you create a win-win solution. They are “out of a job” if the process breaks down.
- The lawyers are concerned about process as well as outcome.
- Clients and lawyers work together as members of the settlement team, rather than working against each other as “opposing parties”.