I am a grandparent – Can I be involved in family law proceedings?

In many Australian families, grandparents play a very important role in the family unit and can sometimes be a significant care giver to their grandchildren.

If you are a grandparent and you do not believe that the rights of your grandchildren are being properly exercised, and you have been involved in the care, welfare and development of your grandchildren, then you may be able to file an application for orders at court.

Family law recognises the importance of the relationship between grandparents and their grandchildren and how this relationship can foster a child’s welfare and development. The Family Law Act also recognises the rights of both biological and non-biological people who are important in children’s lives.

If you believe it is in the best interests of your grandchildren to have access or have more access to you (their grandparent) or you would like to apply for custody of your grandchildren then there are a variety of options open to you both outside and inside the court room. These options include negotiation, mediation, collaboration and/or an application to the court for parenting orders involving both parenting arrangements and if needed parental responsibility.

If your grandchildren already live with you by way of an informal agreement with their parents, we can also help you formalise this agreement so that there is certainty for all people involved.