What if there was a contravention?

If you are the subject of family court orders and you think that you or your former partner may have breached those orders, you should contact one of our solicitors to discuss your options. The law on contravention is complicated and it is always best to seek legal advice before acting on or after a contravention; that way you can gain a clear understanding of your rights and responsibilities.

A contravention can constitute a variety of acts in Family law proceedings including if a party does not attempt to comply with the orders, or purposely breaches an order without a reasonable excuse.

If a contravention of the Orders has occurred there are different ways that this contravention can be addressed, depending on the severity of the breach and the relationship and situation of the parties. If the other party in your matter has made a contravention, filing a contravention application at the court is not your only option, you may be able to come to an agreement with your former partner without going to court.

If on the other you have contravened orders it is important that you seek legal advice as soon as possible. Penalties for contravention are up to the court’s discretion and can range from compensation in terms of more time with the children for the other parent, all the way up to a fine or imprisonment.