Most people probably think that a family lawyer is a family lawyer – and you just have to find one (and preferably a cheap one) if you are separating from your partner. But finding a family lawyer is one of the most important decisions you will make at the time of your separation.
The family lawyer that you choose could influence your whole separation experience and also possibly the process you decide to ensue.
So how do you know who is the best lawyer for you?
If you’re asking your friends and family about their lawyers, you could ask them things like:
- Was your lawyer well acquainted with family law and could they relay it you in layman’s terms?
- Did they know the facts of your situation inside out?
- Did they understand what was important to you and help you to achieve it?
- Did they listen to you?
- Did your lawyer provide you with different options to resolve your issues?
- Did they provide you with good advice in relation to both legal issues and process/strategic issues?
- Did they give you an accurate costs estimate/quote and talk openly with you about fees along the way?
When you pick a family lawyer and meet with them for the first time, you should ask yourself:
- Do I feel that they understand and listen to me?
- Do I feel comfortable enough with them to share all of my information?
- Did they thoroughly discuss my legal options with me?
- Am I confident in their ability to represent me and work with me?
- Do I understand the ways that they charge and the options available to me in this regard?
At Farrar Gesini Dunn, we hope that when you talk to your friends about us, and when you come in to meet with us, all of the above questions will be answered with a “yes“. We strive to provide our clients with the best advice and range of options, while at the same time being sympathetic towards the experiences that our clients are going through and making sure that we listen to and understand out client’s interests.
If you need the assistance of a family lawyer, contact us to make an appointment with one of our many skilled family lawyers, and we will work with you to help you through what can be a very emotional and tumultuous time.